With Winter approaching, I’m so excited to try more soups and stews in my Instant Pot. My friend Brooke recently shared her favorite recipe for Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup Recipe. After some minor modifications and a few minutes in the pressure cooker, a star was born. My husband had barely eaten two bites and was already asking if I’d make it again the following week. To create this amazing soup, simply saute some vegetables, add broth, chicken, and rice, and finish with a cornstarch slurry, cream cheese, and milk & cream. I used light cream cheese, but you can use full fat. You can also play around with milk, cream, and half & half to your liking. As long as you end up with 2 additional cups of a milk mix in the end, any combination should work.
I love the taste and texture of wild rice, and I prefer the Lundberg Wild Rice Blend. This rice works perfectly on its own or in a soup like this Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup Recipe. If you prefer a broth version instead of the creamy version, you could skip adding in the dairy.
Adapted from the recipe found here.
Instant Pot Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice SoupPrint This
- To start:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion (about 1 cup chopped)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 3 chicken breasts, uncooked and diced
- 1 1/4 cup long grain and wild rice blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- dash red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- To finish:
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- Select the Saute feature on your Instant Pot. Add butter to pot. When butter is melted, add onion, carrot, and celery, cooking about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, chicken, wild rice blend, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Lock the lid into place and seal the steam release handle
- Cook on high pressure, manual, 6 minutes.
- Natural pressure release 6 minutes.
- Quick release and remove lid.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Add the slurry to the soup.
- Add cream cheese in spoonfuls and stir until the cheese is melted and mixed in.
- Add milk and cream and heat through.
- Serve and enjoy!