I typically buy fresh chicken breasts in bulk (5-10 breasts per pack) and cook them in a couple of big recipes/batches. This Instant Pot Tomato Basil Chicken recipe is perfect for meal prepping. And it’s incredibly simple to throw together.
You can adjust the spices to your taste and even add in some vegetables. Mushroom and peppers would make this a nice chicken cacciatore. Or you could add spinach to get some good greens on your plate.
Serve with pasta, rice, or potatoes. Or, smother it in mozzarella and/or parmesan and eat it by itself.
My favorite way to serve it is over Trader Joe’s Rigatoni. If you can pick some up, buy two bags and make this recipe.
Instant Pot Tomato Basil ChickenPrint This
- 6 chicken breasts, cut into two pieces
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasonings to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut each chicken breast into 2 pieces and place into inner pot
- Drizzle with some olive oil
- Season with salt and pepper
- Pour chicken broth over chicken
- Pour crushed tomatoes over chicken
- Add remaining seasonings
- Lock the lid into place and seal the steam release handle
- Cook on high pressure (manual or pressure cook button), 7 minutes
- Natural release at least 10 minutes then quick release
- Give everything a stir and let it sit for 5 minutes for the chicken to absorb some of the excess liquid